Last month Matt and I got to take a once in a lifetime trip to Vancouver. He was scheduled to go to a conference to present some work he had been doing, and although we had been planning on me tagging along, it didn’t look like it would work out for me to go (ok, ok, so it was my own fault because of my blasted procrastinating self and my lack of a passport). But, through my husband’s incredible ability to plan things at the last minute, we were able to pull it off…with a little pit stop in Seattle and an appointment at the passport agency (which was amazingly efficient for a government office). So here’s the story of our trip:
It started off as one of the worst days to travel. I woke up that morning with the dreaded stomach bug. So, in between puking and running to the bathroom and laying on the floor in agony, I managed to pack up stuff for the kids and the dog (who were going to stay at GiGi’s with Matt’s folks—THANK YOU!!). Matt made it home in time to help me finish packing our stuff, while I fretted about even making it on the plane. We did, however, and although it was probably one of the more miserable things I’ve ever done, it was worth it in the end. We didn’t make it to our hotel in Seattle until almost midnight, and then had to get up early the next morning to be at the passport agency at 8 am. Despite having nothing in my system, I felt quite better, but exhausted. We made it to the passport agency, and I assumed I would be there all day, begging and pleading for them to understand why they should grant me a passport by the end of the day. Who knew that something run by the government could be so easy and hassle free? I spent a total of 10 minutes there turning in my stuff and the guy simply told me, “Your passport will by ready at 2pm. We close at 3pm, so come before then.” Wha….?? Are you kidding me? That’s all? A-W-E-S-O-M-E!! So I was free to relax and recuperate, and also enjoy some of the sites of Seattle. After resting in the hotel room a little, we went exploring the streets of Seattle. Did you know there is literally a Starbucks on EVERY street corner? They’re a little crazy about their coffee, I believe! We, of course, went to the famous public market of Seattle (Pike’s Place). We also visited a North Face Store where Matt was beside himself and trying desperately not to spend all of our life savings…kidding. He really loves that store, but I had to talk him into getting some gloves he wanted. After picking up my passport—again a very painless and easy process which took all of 5 minutes—we ate at the Athenian, where apparently some of “Sleepless in Seattle” was filmed. (I only got a BLT sandwich on account of not wanting to upset my stomach again, but Matt thoroughly enjoyed his fried fresh seafood platter!) Then we headed off to Vancouver, in the dark: boo for us not knowing that it starts getting dark at like 4:30 pm! Well, that’s all for the Seattle part of our trip, but more pictures to come…
No comments:
Post a Comment